People who are confident are more likely to succeed. Each of us needs to work towards building our self confidence. Smiling not only makes you look & feel more confident it also helps you win friends. 70% of people say that a smile is the first thing they notice about a person. A huge part of the credit for a charming captivating smile is a beautiful set of teeth. Madhuri Dixit & Julia Roberts are live examples. Sparkling white teeth are a sign of good health, good hygiene and a fresh breath. So if you have been hiding your smile because of your teeth, it’s time to take the first step towards getting a perfect white set of teeth.
Here are a few tips for whiter and brighter teeth keeping in mind long term good health of your teeth
- Regular brushing & flossing
- Eating a detergent diet
- Avoid unnecessary use of mouthwashes
- Scaling/ cleaning and polishing
- Treatment of carious and broken teeth
- Chemical Teeth whitening
- Regular brushing & flossing: often it is seen that a smear layer of food and plaque accumulates on the tooth surface and interdental area making the teeth look yellow and the interdental areas brown. This happens because of irregular and ineffective teeth cleaning. Food that stays on the tooth surface for 24-36 hours is difficult to remove by the brush. Hence, it is imperative that a daily routine of brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day should be followed to maintain shiny white teeth or the original colour of the surface teeth.
- Eating a detergent diet : Processed food leaves a layer of plaque and coloured foods leave stains on the tooth, whereas eating a fibre rich diet and Citrus fruits work as natural detergents and clean up the teeth. Fruits and fibre rich diets not only help in keeping the tooth surface clean they also make the gums healthy. One should avoid sweets, candies, sodas, tea & coffee as they discolour your teeth and also cause cavities. Cavities make teeth look dark and unattractive. Hence always try to eat a fibre rich diet.
- Avoid unnecessary use of washes: Mouthwash is an excellent quick fix solution for bad breath or sensitivity in teeth but unnecessary use should be avoided. Most of the mouthwashes discolour your teeth and also fillings. Their Long term use may cause yellowing of teeth. Yellow or discoloured teeth is one main cause of hiding your teeth when you smile.
- Scaling/ cleaning and polishing: the tarter, when left for a few days, gets calcified and looks like yellowish black deposits on the state. These deposits cannot be removed by normal teeth brushing and flossing. You will need to visit your dentist for a professional ultrasonic cleaning to whiten these teeth. Tea coffee and tobacco are other reasons for Staining of teeth. These can only be removed by professional teeth cleaning & polishing. Once in six months a visit to the dentist is highly recommended to keep your teeth sparkling white and hygienic clean.
- Treatment of Carious and broken teeth: Caries in the teeth can appear as black shadows and so can broken teeth. They can make the teeth look blackish and very unaesthetic. Restoration of teeth with tooth coloured composite resin Is a simple way to improve the looks and match the colour of your teeth. Missing teeth appear as black spaces which are unpleasant to the human eye. Replacement of missing teeth is important not only to improve the looks but also for the health of the adjoining and opposing teeth.
- Chemical teeth whitening: Much sought-after way to improve the colour of the teeth is by the use of whitening agents. Teeth bleaching can be done at home or in the dental Clinic. In clinic whitening agents give better results and can be done using lasers or Zoom whitening. A word of caution here, teeth and gums should both be healthy if we want to use bleaching gel for teeth whitening. Best cosmetic dentist in Delhi or any other city will be able to guide you if bleaching is the right option for you.
- Dental Veneers: Dental veneers are thin layers of material which are glued on to the tooth surface. These work beautifully in cases where teeth have defects, are uneven, have white spots or have intrinsic yellow discolouration. Veneers can be made of composite resin or dental ceramics. Veneers can be executed successfully by Dr. Unnati is the best cosmetic dentist in South Delhi. Aesthetic Dentistry is a highly specialised field and one needs additional training to give patients a beautiful white sparkling smile.